Secrets On How To Clean A Mattress
Mattresses, with its heaviness and wide width, are very difficult to clean. Furthermore, the intricate materials and expensive linen that make-up a mattress require more cautioun and extra care in cleaning the mattress. There are simply so many things to consider when cleaning a mattress.
But why should mattresses be kept neat and tidy all the time? Why should people spent their efforts, time and money just to have their mattresses clean?
It is for the simple reason that people spent an average of eight hours on their bed with the mattresses. Having a clean and comfortable mattress will not just make someone earn a sound sleep, but will also assure the individual with the proper sanitation and healthy living (and sleeping).
Do you know how clean a mattress?
1. Use a mattress protector. It is a piece of cloth or linen that covers the mattress. A mattress protector should always be in good quality and condition, enough to protect the mattress from further stains brought by liquid spills and body fluids. It should also be regularly washed to thwart off dusts that have stuck onto it; thus, preventing dusts from sipping into the mattress. Mattress protector can be bought from warehouse stores, furniture shops or mattress/bedding dealers. Aside from mattress protector, a mattress bag can also be utilized as another form of covering of the mattress.
2. Use a vacuum to clean it. By using the vacuum upholstery attachment, clean all sides of the mattress to ensure that no dust mites inhabit the mattress. Dust mites are arachnids that can stick onto the bed mattress and are great contributors of indoor pollution. It can cause asthma, skin irritation and itchiness to someone who is lying on a mattress that is encroached by it. Because of these dust mites, mattresses should be cleaned as needed.
3. Lemon juice is one of the most popular homemade agent for cleaning a mattress. One can use a lemon cleaner found in supermarket, or just simply mixing a half cup of lemon juice with cold water. Using a sponge or clean cloth, blot the lemon juice to the stained area. Do not rub harshly or widely the cloth to prevent the stain from spreading more in the mattress. The sweet scent of lemon is also taken by some people as another plus point in how to clean a mattress using lemons. This is very effective most especially to stains caused by urine.
4. Another way how to clean a mattress is through the use of mattress cleaner solution sold among supermarket, hardware or furniture store. There is a wide array of choices on solutions that are known to be effective in cleaning mattress. Just make sure to choose something that will not cause further stain to the mattress due to coloring solution (such as the infamous blue color in detergent liquid) mixed into the liquid cleaner. Upholstery shampoo is also known to be effective in removing dirt and foul odors in mattress.
5. Last but not the least, maintaining a good night sleep does not all the time find tune in the way how to clean a mattress, but on how to keep the mattress clean all the time. People should avoid drinking (especially wine, beer, and other alcoholic drinks) on their beds because this will increase the chances of liquid spills, which will lead to stains and bad smell of the mattress. Also, smoking is being discouraged to be done inside the bedroom because the smell of cigar will surely cling into the mattress, giving it a “cigarette smell.”